Thursday, December 15, 2011

Favorite Tour Scenes in Film

Okay, it's ludicrous that I haven't written a blog entry in over a year. My friend Kensey said she actually checked my blog occasionally for any new entries, so I was inspired to write a new entry.

Today my wife (yes, wife!) and her middle school students are going on a tour to a lesser-known downtown Brooklyn landmark. She was telling me how hard it is to get middle school students interested in anything, much less historical tours. I agreed with her & then said that no tour could be as amazing as the Alcatraz tour led by Phil Hartman from the 1993 movie "So I Married an Axe Murderer." Who can resist his first line, "My name is John Johnson, but everyone here calls me Vicky."

Then it got me thinking of other tour scenes I love from films.

One: The Alamo tour from Pee Wee's Big Adventure. This scene has another one of the former SNL actors in it, Jan Hooks, who is pitch perfect as the overly friendly Alamo tour guide. "Do we have any Mexican-Americans with us today? Well, Buenos Dias!"

Two: The Art Museum of Chicago scene from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". You might recall Ferris and his gang joining hands with the little school children who are on a tour, so I think it counts! There are a number of reasons why I love this scene: 1) The instrumental guitar music in the background reminds me a bit of The Smiths (before the clarinet comes in), 2) The way they line up all together to look at the paintings, and (most importantly) 3) Cameron's mini-existential crisis that happens as he stares deeply the famous George Saurat painting "Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jette."

Three: The scene in another of one of my all-time favorite John Hughes movies, "Some Kind of Wonderful" where Eric Stoltz's character (Keith) takes Lea Thompson's character (Amanda Jones) on a private night tour of an art museum (2:59). The scene culminates when Keith reveals a painting that he has made of Amanda hanging in the gallery. The painting is meant to be beautiful, but it is really just hilarious. Also, my best friend Beth and I once wrote lyrics to the instrumental song that is playing in the background during this sequence. If you're lucky one day, we'll sing it for you.

All right, now I need your help filling in the blanks.

Can you think of any other tours in film that I'm missing? Or movies about tours? I thought about "Spinal Tap" and the fact that they're ON tour, but I'm not sure if that counts...

1 comment: